Quite a few years ago I worked up a bunch of little knit hats. I had so many people ask me for the pattern for them. I quickly wrote down what I did. Periodically people still ask me for the pattern. I decided it was time to write out a proper pattern, originally I had posted this on my blog in 2008.
This pattern doesn’t take much yarn, any leftover sock yarn works great. It’s fun to take an hour or so to knit one of these
You can easily find my pattern via Ravelry here if you should like to add it to your library, queue it or add it to your project page. It’s also at the bottom of this post.
This is a quick little knit hat and looks extremely cute hanging with small clothes-pins on a clothesline with other little clothing items. I also have put them on my Christmas Tree among the ornaments as Elf clothes.
Here’s my pattern so you can knit little hats yourself. You can print directly from here if you [refer not to go via Ravelry.
Little Knit Hats
- 5 yards scraps of fingering weight yarn 5 yards is very generous
- 0-1 DPNs set of 4 DPNs 8 its per inch
- 1 Needle Tapestry needle to weave in ends
- 1 Stitch Marker You may choose to mark your being of round I found it was such a small project I didn’t need a stitch marker
- Cast On 24 sts using your cast on preference. I used long tail cast on.
- Join in the round being careful not to twist.
- Knit 4 rounds in 1×1 Ribbing, K!, P1.
- Knit 15 rounds in stockinette stitch. Knit all stitches.
- Decrease round. *K2, k2tog, repeat from* to end of the round. 18 sts remaining.
- Knit one round plain.
- Decrease round. *K1, K2tog, repeat from* to the end of the round. 12 sts remaining, NOTE: You will not work a plain round next.
- Decrease round. *K2tog, repeat from * to end of the round. 6 sts remain.
- Cut yarn leaving a tail long about 6 inches long.
- Using tapestry needle draw tail through remaining 6 stitches to close up the hat.
- Weave In ends, and block if desired.
Pin It for later
I’d love to know if you have knit this little hat from the new pattern or the old one. Have you knit other little clothes as I have? Sweaters? Pants?