I’d like to share how to make french press coffee with you. Making French press coffee is easy and inexpensive. It’s also delicious!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on my link to make a purchase there will be no additional charge to you. I make a small commission from your purchase that helps keep my blog going.
- French Press
- Tea Kettle, I use a stove top one [similar]
- favorite coffee mug
- long handle spoon
- Thermometer if desired
How To Make French Press Coffee
- Coffee, coarsely ground
- 32 oz water
Heat the water to boiling, then for 1 minute. Heat the water in a tea kettle to boiling, then take off the heat for about 1 full minute before making the coffee. Water for French press coffee should be heated to 195°F. If you want to ensure it’s the right temperature, use a thermometer to check.
Grind coffee beans on the coarsest setting available. I find a burr grinder gives the most consistent grind.
Add ground coffee to French Press.
Pour the water into the French Press. Put on the lid. keep the plunger fully extended.
Stir the water and coffee vigorously.
Steep for 4 Minutes.
Slowly depress the plunger into the coffee. by going slowly you are less likely to force the coffee grounds to pass above the screen strainer.Print Recipe
French Press Coffee
- 4 cups Water filtered
- 1/2 cup Coffee Beans coarsely ground
- French Press
- Burr Grinder
- Tea Kettle stovetop or electric
- Long Spoon
- Thermometer optional
- Grind coffee so that it is coarse, about the consistency of kosher salt. Place ground coffee into French Press carafe.
- Heat water to boiling and allow to sit for 1 minute. this is a good time to grind your grab your favorite mug. You want your water to 195º use a thermometer if you prefer.
- Pour water into the carafe and over coffee beans. Stir vigorously for about 30 seconds.
- Place carafe lid on with the plunger fully extended. Allow steeping for 4 minutes.
- Slowly depress the plunger. Pour coffee into your favorite mug and add cream and sugar to taste.
The ratio of Water to Coffee for French Press
- 1 serving — 1 cup water (8 fluid ounces) — 2 tablespoons coffee beans
- 2 servings — 2 cups water (16 fluid ounces) — 1/4 cup coffee beans
- 4 servings — 4 cups water (32 fluid ounces) — 1/2 cup coffee beans
- 8 servings — 8 cups water (64 fluid ounces) — 1 cup coffee beans
If you would like to see my Instagram Highlights demonstrating exactly how to make french press coffee click here.
Keeping Coffee Warm
I like to wrap a towel around my French Press to help hold in the warmth. It’s easiest if you do this while the carafe is empty.
To wrap the carafe I chose a thin kitchen towel and fold in half lengthwise. I can usually wrap this around twice. I simply tuck when under the wrapped towel.
You can choose to transfer the coffee to a carafe to keep warm. But honestly, I find with the 32 oz carafe I drink it too fast to warrant that.
Let me know what you think about my How to make French Press Coffee. DO you prefer French Press coffee or some other way?
Happy Drinking Coffee.